Sunday, October 5, 2014

Blog Post 7



This video showed me that I have many tools at my disposal for teaching and allowing students to be their own teachers. However, because I grew up in a lecture school system, I will have to continuously remind myself that there are other and better ways for students to learn than just me lecturing. Besides having to rewire my expectations of lecturing non-stop, I will have to learn how to apply certain technology to projects that allow students independent learning. Another weakness I will have to work on is allowing students to explore topics and projects themselves. I tend to want to do everything, even in group work,but I've been working on this by restricting what I will do on a project so that others have a chance to work on it. As for strengths, I could list that I love learning new technology. I find it very interesting to learn how to work programs and Apps, so I will be able to apply that to my classes.


I learned a lot from these videos. However, the thing I found most interesting was in videos iPad Reading and Poplet Center. In these videos, students had very independent projects that allowed them do their own research and use tools that they will no doubt need in the future. The way students learn is evolving. Instead of the teacher being the only source for information, the students are going out and discovering for themselves. Students are excited about learning and don't mind finding their own shortcomings as long as they have a part in it. Typically students were told what they needed to improve on, however, now students take an active role in improving themselves and seeking new things to learn. The video We All Become Learners I saw that I cannot just learn my subject and then present it to the students. I learned that I have to keep learning new ways to do things to really help my students learn. I also have to be willing to let the students take on a teaching role.


Teacher and students at a learning center.
Source:vickyloras.wordpress.com

2 comments:

  1. Did you check out the videos on QR codes? Those are pretty cool and make sharing information with your students a lot easier and more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did and it was very interesting. I really liked the fact that students could critique their own work and share with parents.

    ReplyDelete