Saturday, October 25, 2014

Blog Post 10



Ms. Cassidy's technology use in the classroom is really interesting. So many children are missing needed instruction about technology use simply because most schools are neglecting to acknowledge the importance these skills have in a child's future. Mrs. Cassidy's children are excited about learning because they are able to use technology to learn how to problem-solve, write, and communicate. It's also interesting to note that the use of technology is not only benefiting them academically, but the students are learning how to handle situations with other students that before may have caused real problems. They are learning to share and how to correctly address problems with their peers. Also, I think that being able to show what they learn through blogs and videos is a real incentive for them to try hard in school.

Ever since the beginning of EDM, I have been thinking about how blogs could really improve my future class. I'll be teaching English and literature, and I have no doubt that using blogs for students' responses to stories or writing assignments will help them be more excited about doing the work. The school I plan to teach at is in a rural area, so by using blogs the students would be exposed to a wider audience who will hopefully communicate with my students about the assignments. As stated by the video First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class, blog posts allow students to practice their writing skills. Also, students' post will give me a clearer idea about their writing ability and allow me to address specific issues. I also loved the idea of a professional skyping the class to answer questions. I would use this to most likely address certain literature texts and concepts covered in class. The biggest issues I would face with using blogs would be parents' and administrators' concerns with protecting the students. I would address this issue by first sending parents a form home with their student stating that photos would not be on the internet of their child, there would be no last names on the blogs, and that since the blogs are a public forum the parents can see what exactly is going on. I think that knowing they can view their student's blogs will give parents a better view on allowing the students to post. I would share the same information with administration to ease their concerns, also.

Hamlet at a computer saying to blog or not to blog?
Source:www.gabrielweinberg.com

1 comment: