Sunday, September 28, 2014

Blog Post 6

Outline
1-The teacher's work ethic.
2-Teaching strategies concerning technology and project based learning.
3-How to approach teaching.

I learned a lot about how teachers have to approach their schedule and balance time between work and other responsibilities. I found it interesting that Capps actually became more stressed when he cut his work hours to only 10 during the day. I learned that while teaching I would need to continuously research what I wanted to cover and be sure that it tied into the standards set by the government. At first, I was sitting here thinking that maybe I had made a mistake in my chosen occupation because of the large amount of dedication and time . However, by the end of the assignment I was still very excited about being a teacher because, despite the difficulty, I can't think of a more rewarding and exciting job than helping others learn.

I really enjoyed the fact that Capps addressed the need for teachers to not just show students how to use technology, but actually getting the students to use the technology throughout the course. I found it interesting how he combined project based learning and technology by allowing them to use technology that gives them real life skills and meets the standards set by the government. I think that giving the students a real issue to address that they can relate to is a good way to include them in the community and will interest them. Teaching students certain skills is very important, however, it is also important for students to understand the world they live in and what is going on.

Strike easier from your repertoire. Nothing worth doing is easy. Simple, sometimes. Easy? never.
Source:StrategyLab.ca

The tips provided in the videos The Anthony - Strange Tips for Teachers Part 1 and the lesson structures talked about in Additional Thoughts about Lessons were helpful in figuring out exactly what teaching requires. I have asked many people throughout my education what teaching is really like, and everyone has different answers, most are negative. Capps' and Strange's tips helped me get a better idea about teaching and what I can expect. Also, their tips were honest and not overly negative and helped me have a realistic view of teaching.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, teaching is a lot of very hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I questioned my profession choices at first and then I realized how rewarding and fulfilling it will be. I also was glad to hear what Capps' and Dr. Strange had to say and the advice given. Great post!

    ReplyDelete