Friday, September 19, 2014

Blog Post 5

Outline
1. Describe what a PLN is and how a PlN is beneficial.
2. How a PLN is formed and how an individual can create his or her own.
3. A description of my PLN and who I will add first.

A personal learning network(PLN) is a group of people or tools an individual uses to gather information on a certain interest. For example, if an English teacher creates a PLN he or she would include possibly blogs of other teachers, twitter accounts that connect to teaching or the subject, and websites that have information the teacher could learn from. A PLN can help a teacher because it provides information on topics, activities, and allows for communication between educators. The Michael Fawcett PLN video details how a PLN can benefit a teacher. Fawcett goes into detail about how making connections has allowed him to grow as a teacher and learn new teaching techniques. Maybe the most important aspect of Fawcett's PLN is the support he describes. Teaching is not an easy occupation, and being connected to others of the same profession and interests allows discussions and support when a teacher is overwhelmed with administration, students, or parents.

   A PLN can be set up any way that the user desires. I prefer using twitter and have been trying to expand my account to include my interests such as literary theory, book releases, and book reviews. A PLN is set up by first choosing a topic or question and then picking different sources to follow. For example, my chosen topic is literary theory, so I will go to twitter and search for accounts of individuals, websites, or organizations that provide information on that topic. Then, to further expand my PLN, I will follow who they follow. Eventually I'll build up a PLN about literary theory that includes many sources, perspectives, and ideas. Also, I tribute by reading about this topic and tweeting about what I learn or think. This allows communication and it generates idea in a PLN. To really setup a PLN, an individual doesn't need to just search but contribute. Contributing is a key factor into any PLN and won't last without it.  Developing a Personal Learning Network EDM 310 is a good source for better understanding how to start a PLN and other aspects of PLNs.

   As stated in the previous paragraph, I have already started to setup a PLN in my twitter account. I am following one literary theory account and other accounts that focus on book releases and reviews. It is a bit slow right now because I'm still learning how to navigate twitter; however, I expect to have a full functioning PLN in a few weeks. I have also began to look at books to buy and pod casts to listen to. I am very excited to start a PLN. Another thing about my PLN I'm considering is setting up a separate blog that will allow me to talk about what theories I've come across and the books I'm reading.


A diagram connecting multiple people together.
Source:computers.vineglobal.net

3 comments:

  1. Keep at it. Twitter takes a while but it has been my most important professional development too. It can do the same for you!

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica,
    I like how everything is detailed, Great Job. In your image, make sure you use the modifier tool. Overall, great post.
    Here's My Blog

    ReplyDelete