Sunday, August 24, 2014

Blog Post 1

Outline


What are the things (if any) you have heard about EDM310?
What fears (if any) do you have about EDM310?
Compare and contrast EDM310 with other courses you have taken in college or high school.
What do you think will be the most difficult thing for you in EDM310?
What is the best way for you to address this “most difficult” aspect of EDM310?
What questions do you still have about EDM310? What ideas do you have about how to address those questions?


What About EDM310?
   The first comments I had heard about the EDM class had me dreading the day I had to add it to my schedule. I had been told it was extremely difficult, horrible, and the most tiring class the student had ever taken. So, naturally by the beginning of the semester I was nervous. However, since being in the class my fears have been eased. To begin with my main concern was about the many projects and the statement from one student that said I would have no time for anything but this class. These things worried me because along with taking five classes, I also work three days out of the week. I was very worried that I would either not have the time to give the class my best work or there would be little sleeping at all this semester. These fears have been eased by asking students who took the class the previous semester and reading the syllabus. Many students that I have in other classes have told me that after the two week mark the class becomes easier. Also, other students have said how as long as I can set aside at least nine hours it'll be fine.

   EDM is a very different course from all but one class I had in high school. During high school, I was part of the journalism staff which took up one class period. This class consisted of some of the same qualities that EDM has. For instance, it was a very hands on course. We learned as we worked and had assignments due every week. It was a very project based course. The college courses I have taken have been very different from EDM. Since I take literature based courses, the only projects I have really had have been research papers. Because of EDM being such a different class from what I have been taking, one of the most difficult aspects for me will be learning how to adjust from one class structure to another. Also,setting aside the amount of time needed to perform well in the class and earn the best grade I can.

   The most difficult aspects for me for EDM are all easy to address. For instance, adjusting from one class to another will be difficult, but it will get easier as long as I keep going to class and managing my time to allow homework to be done right. I'm going to do this by setting aside certain days for specific class assignments. Tuesdays and Thursdays I will spend three hours a day working on EDM assignments and the rest of the days on my literature classes. I also plan on spending Saturdays and Sundays working on EDM and other classes.

   I do not have any questions regarding this class at the moment. Everything I was worried about has been worked out, explained by the syllabus, or Dr. Strange has addressed it in class. This class started out as a cause for worry, but I am actually looking forward to it now. The syllabus was a great source of comfort because it spelled out what was expected and even had links to other sources. I look forward to this semester and the challenge it brings.

2 comments:

  1. These are great, thorough answers to the questions.EDM does take a lot of time, but it is very rewarding when it comes to having to create a technology based lesson plan in the future. Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very worried about the time constraints to begin with, too! I think that your journalism background will help you with the research and deadlines. Your literature classes will probably help with the blog content. Good luck this semester.

    ReplyDelete